The Catholic Historical Society of Ireland was founded in Dublin in 1911 to promote the study of Irish ecclesiastical history and Irish history in general.
The first issue of the Society’s journal, Archivium Hibernicum, appeared in 1912. Since its founding the Society has been associated with St Patrick’s College Maynooth, NUI Maynooth and St Patrick’s College Drumcondra-DCU. The Society’s committee, drawn from history professionals in Ireland and abroad, meets annually to approve editorial and financial reports.
It holds an annual conference, usually in Dublin, during the month of September. Since 1973 Archivium Hibericum has incorporated the proceedings of the Irish Catholic Historical Committee. In 2000 the Society absorbed the Catholic Record Society of Ireland. Since 2009 Archivium Hibernicum has been part of the JSTOR ‘Ireland Collection’.